[Histonet] delivery time of last tray of H&E

Dawn Cowie dlcowie <@t> prodigy.net
Thu Mar 22 10:50:58 CDT 2007

We also stagger our tissue processors. The first 1 ends at 10:30pm then midnight and finally 4am. We gross until about 7:30pm. We have a wide variety of tissue types every day. We separate small bx's from large tissues and process the bx's on a short run. 2 techs start at 10:30pm, 1 at midnight and 1 at 7am. We average 450 - 500 blocks a day. We are short staffed at this time with only 4 techs and myself (supv) embedding and cutting. We also have 2 full time lab aides that match up slides to gross dictation, label and distribute. First lab aide starts at 4am and 2nd at 6am. We are usually finished cutting around 8am and last slides are delivered to docs around 10 to 10:am. After that we start recuts and IHC's. We run about 40 - 50 IHC slides each day. It's a big challenge to get this much work out in a short time when you're so short staffed but we also have a very good team and a great bunch of pathologists - this really makes a big difference
  Hope this info is useful. Oh, and by the way - we're looking for a good tech. Anybody interested? Weather's beautiful here in northwest Florida and the housing market is the best it's been in a long time.

  Dawn L. Cowie, HT (ASCP)
  Pensacola Pathologists
  5150 Bayou Blvd. Suite 2C
  Pensacola, Florida 32503
  850-416-7251

Carole Fields <cgfields <@t> lexhealth.org> wrote:
  We come in starting at 2 am to embed. The techs cutting are here starting
at 4am and ... all are here by 6:30 so all seven docs have slides by 7-7:30
and we are usually finished by 9am. We run 250-325 blocks daily. We have 6
techs cutting and one labeling and distributing slides. The grossing area
is here until 6pm and we run 3 VIPs ....loading the first one at noon -30ish
so the embedders have work when they come in at 2am. The second machine is
loaded at 3 or 4pm and the last is loaded when gross is finished by 6pm. If
we had 300 blocks we have about 600 slides.
We do have a good team that works well together and they work hard to get
the work out and still have nice sections.
Hope this helps
Carole Fields, HT,ASCP
Pathology Supervisor
Lexington Medical Center