[Histonet] Gunshot residue in tissue

Pam V pamvlies <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 08:30:04 CDT 2007

Hi -
Back on the 16th of March there was a question regarding a procedure for GSR in tissue. Catching up on some reading, I just found this
The email address for contact info for this article is riccardo.zoia <@t> unimi.it

Here is the abstract

			Biotech Histochem.			;81	(4):151-6 17129998

				Detection of gunshot residues on cadaveric skin using sodium rhodizonate and a counterstain.

			[My paper]

				R	Zoja
						,
 A	Lazzaro
						,
 A	Battistini
						,
 G	Gentile

We report a staining method for cadaveric tissue using sodium
rhodizonate as a skin marker for gunshot residues and a counterstain
for the surrounding connective tissue. We studied six well preserved
subjects who had died of close range gunshot injury. Skin fragments
were removed from the bullet entrance hole including both the disrupted
area and adjacent macroscopically intact tissue. Because microscopic
examination of postmortem material is difficult after histomorphologic
alterations already have occurred as a consequence of postmortem tissue
changes, it is necessary to use a staining method that, while detecting
gunshot residues, can also make skin cell constituents recognizable
from both qualitative and quantitative perspectives. Triphenylmethane
dyes (acid fuchsin, aniline blue WS, light green SF yellowish,
brilliant green and ethyl green) have proven appropriate for the
purpose.

It is not free anywhere online, too new I imagine, even via Elsevier but this is a link to the site that manages the journal mentioned above:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a762361057~jumptype=rss

Pam Vlies HT-ASCP
Evanston  Northwestern Hospital
Evanston, IL