[Histonet] Film or glass

Cheryl Kerry tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 10:12:11 CDT 2007

Marcia-

There are advantages to both.  These are, of course, my opinions:

Film is simpler/faster but has some disadvantages-
	-the machine has less moving parts to break
	-if you run out of film, you go back to hand coverslipping--should
maintain supplies just in case.
	-there are a few tricks to it--acclimate the film to ambient room
temp 	for a day before using.
	-Keep the machine CLEAN or it bunches up.
	-If your storage isn't climate controlled you'll have trouble with
yellowing and rarely, fogging.
	-The slip is hard to remove--acetone works but the sludge is messy
and 	it leaves a residue.
	-On thick preps (cytos)it is harder to fill in the bubbles.

Glass slips
	-The machine is more complex and a little harder to maintain
	-You can use anyone's slips--no limited suppliers
	-The machine is more expensive, but supplies are less
	-Storage--no issues and no adjustments by your pathologists.
	-If slips break in the machine--they're a pain to clean up.

I know I listed fewer issues for the glass--it's obviously my preferred
choice.

Hope this helps!

Cheryl

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Full Staff Inc.
281.852.9457
800.756.3309
Sign up for the FREE newsletter AP News--updates, tricks of the trade and
current issues for Anatomic Pathology Clinical Labs. Send a 'subscribe'
request to APNews <@t> fullstaff.org. Please include your name and specialty in
the body of the email.