[Histonet] where do you purchase normal sera and cresyl violet

Neil Fournier nfournier <@t> sasktel.net
Tue Mar 13 02:59:07 CDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I was wondering where  people typically purchase normal sera that they use as blocking agents for IHC (for example on fixed rat brain).   We purchased normal animal sera through Vector Laboratories; however, considering how much we usually go through (we do a lot of our procedures as free-floating) and the rather expensive costs I was wondering if any one knew of cheaper places that still yield high quality products.  Vector sells 10 ml to us for over $150 after shipping and exchange rate and I have noticed that Invitrogen sells an equivalent product (normal goat sera) which consists of 100 ml and costs around $30.00.   I am not sure what the specific differences between the two are but this is a huge difference in price and I am not sure if it translate into anything meaningful in terms of quality of blocking.

And lastly, I typically buy cresyl violet acetate through Acros.  We have had beautiful results but once again it is a little on the pricey side considering the small quantity we purchase.  I once tried a different product (not sure what it was) and it was useless (in fact the solution wouldn't even stain my own fingers).   Once again does anyone have any product suggestions that have worked well for them in the past.

I hate changing procedures that already work well but if we can cut some costs then perhaps I can argue for a nice pay increase or holiday in Florida.

Thanks for the advice,

Neil