[Histonet] Silver staining technique

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Thu Jun 28 10:17:13 CDT 2007

We run a positive control on the same slide for each patient.  We typically stain for the control.  If the control looks good, we take it out.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org
www.LMHealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of
bamoe <@t> gundluth.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:13 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Silver staining technique

Hi all -

A question has come up in our laboratory regarding silver staining
technique.

We currently run special stains manually.  For the GMS silver stain,
control tissue is run on a separate slide from the patient tissue. During
the silver step  (we use a microwave for heating) the control slide is
checked microscopically for adequate development.

The question is this:

If the control tissue is developed to satisfaction of the technician, do
you automatically remove the patient slides from the silver and continue on
with the procedure,  OR do you individually check each patient slide,
giving some more time in the silver solution if needed?

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thank you!

Barb Moe
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center