[Histonet] Log for specimens

Bonnie Whitaker bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com
Thu Jun 28 09:46:33 CDT 2007

One thing that comes to mind as a possibility (I still use paper) is colored
glass beads dropped in the cassette (such as red=2, blue =3, green=4, etc.)
I use that system to alert the embedding tech(s) for any special
instructions on a cassette now.

Bonnie

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dawn Cowie
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:32 AM
To: Tom McNemar; Marcia Funk; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Log for specimens

We have the PA's write on the side of the cassette the number of pieces that
are in the cassette. This is especially helpful if the pieces are very
small, you know when you open the cassette how many pieces you are looking
for. We have an exception log that we write in if there are missing pieces
at embedding. This saves time from having to stop and check a paper log for
each cassette.

  DLC

Tom McNemar <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org> wrote:
  We have a small form (1/2 sheet) that is carboned for multiple copies. The
grossing person just writes any special instructions (embedding, stains,
etc.) on it. We then have have it for embedding and a copy for each cutter.
Works very well.Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP) Histology Co-ordinator Licking
Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org