[Histonet] Re: Nuclear artefactI

Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk
Thu Jun 28 07:12:46 CDT 2007

That everyone is in denial is exactly my experience.

It also makes it impossible to diagnose small cell carcinoma without
resorting to immunochemistry:-)

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
rsrichmond <@t> aol.com
Sent: 27 June 2007 23:06
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Nuclear artefactI

Nadia Gale, Histotechnologist at the Centre for Translational and
Applied Genomics (CTAG) in Vancouver, BC asks:

>>I am seeing nuclear artefact in some of our formalin fixed paraffin
embedded tissues. The artefact appears as vacuoles or bubbles in the
nuclei with H&E. I have tried multiple things to fix this to no avail.<<

I think we've discussed this topic before on Histonet, and maybe I just
wasn't paying attention - but I would really like to know how to trouble
shoot this common artifact: just what do you do first, and next, and
after that?

In my travels as a locum tenens pathologist this is one of the most
common problems I see in laboratories. Always everybody is in denial
that any such thing exists. In particular, this bubble artifact makes it
impossible to assess the nuclear grade of breast cancers and other
tumors requiring nuclear grading.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN