[Histonet] Small cell carcinoma

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Wed Jun 20 15:12:03 CDT 2007

A good H&E and, if necessary, CK8/18 (delicate, sometimes punctate cytoplasmic reactivity) and chromogranin (rare, granular cytoplasmic staining).  Synaptophysin is not one of my favorite antibodies due to specificity issues.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> "Lynette Pavelich" <lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com> 06/20/07 2:31 PM >>>
Hello,
I am curious to see what other institutions are using to diagnose small
cell carcinoma in human formalin fixed, paraffin tissue.

I have run into some literature that states that synaptophysin will
stain positive 90% of the time, and in other articles will stain
positive only 50% of the time.
Are there other antibodies that are more specific that you have found
work better??

Awaiting your knowledge and experience.

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor