[Histonet] processing fatty tissue

patsy ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Fri Jun 8 08:49:26 CDT 2007

Just curious, how do you dispose of mineral oil and what does it cost
compared to xylene?  Do you have to pay for haz mat shipping?
Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. #216
Aurora, CO 80010
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
www.ihctech.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 8:27 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Fwd: RE: Re: [Histonet] processing fatty tissue

For "general enjoyment" from 2 "old timers".
  James McCormick and René J.

  Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 07:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: [Histonet] processing fatty tissue
To: "McCormick, James" <JMcCormick <@t> schosp.org>
CC: Doug Martin <Dlmartin <@t> Coretech-holdings.com>,
"Drew N. Mehta" <dnmehta <@t> Coretech-holdings.com>,
Lamar Jones <lajones <@t> wfubmc.edu>, Maxim Peshkov <maxim_71 <@t> mail.ru>

  Dear Dr. McCormick:
  I could not have said it better! Your description of tissue components
being GENTLY awashed by succesive flows of chemicals in low gradients of
different chemical actions is what exactly exists in any procedure that
intercalates between the different steps leading to the substitution of
tissue water with the infiltrating medium.

  That is the rationale behind using EthOL at increasing concentrations from
a "quite shocking" 60% start (could be gentler, although TAT imposes
restrictions and limitations on "tissue processing gentleness").
  Once the tissues have been "completely traumatized" at the end of the
dehydration, the following "chemical shock" is given by the antemedium,
usually the "infamous and noxious xylene" to end with the "soothing" effect
of the paraffin.

  That is the rationale of my procedure of eliminating the harsh xylene
effect with the combination of alcohols and "liquid paraffin" = mineral oil.
In my procedure by mixing ethanol + isopropanol + mineral oil, and in
Maxim's modification by mixing propanol and mineral oil only.
  Nothing new about using propanol, it has been in use to dehydrate since
the early twentieth century, and now recently has been "resurrected" as the
dehydrant of choice and sole chemical between the tissue water and the wax,
as in the technology in use by the Peloris
  instrument which uses hight "instantaneous" temperatures to "dry-out" the
tissue to eliminate the propanol and leave it "open" to the wax influx.
  I personally would never treat a tissue sample so harshly but you know how
tissue preferences go, they are like beauty, all in the beholder's eyes.
  For me tissue processing should be gentle though.

  Being an "old timer" like me, you should remember the fantastic results we
used to obtain when clearing tissue with Canada balsam, the precaution to
cover the floating dehydrated tissue with a piece of filter paper moisted in
ethanol to prevent the tissue to dry-out, and you should also remember that
the tissue itself "said" when "I am ready for infiltration", after going to
the bottom of the container, before being quickly washed with benzene.
Remember those days? And also how long it took to infiltrate? And how soft
they were to section?
  Again TAT chastised all of us and dictated quicker but NOT better
procedures.

  Mixing alcohols and mineral oil, during protocols that take the same time
as with other methods that include xylene, ease infiltration and help the
histotech to section better, thinner and get rid of xylene as well.
  Just a thought you "provoqued" with your dancing image!
René J.

"McCormick, James" <JMcCormick <@t> schosp.org> wrote:
  Rene J.
As I am familiar with much of the "antique" instruments and tissue
processing methods............your writing helps me to understand the 1860's
use of essential oils to dehydrate and clear tissue for "tallow"
infiltration and later paraffin waxes.....one molecule after another "holds
hands and changes partners" that we might call "the line dancing of tissue
processing for histotechnology" .
Kindest regards,
Jim,
J.B.McCormick,M.D.