[Histonet] Cytospin - misshapen cells

Martin S. sonya.martin <@t> soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 30 09:56:51 CDT 2007

Yes, I wondered if it was just a cytospin problem - although other
people seem to get great results with cytospins! They just don't seem to
be able to let the rest of us in on the secret!
I wanted to use the cells as a positive control so they're not that
important (I already have some positively stained cells (nice adherent
cells!), a negative control and an isotype control so........)

For future reference whats your protocol for embedding in agarose and
when you say to treat like a tissue block do you mean a paraffin
embedded tissue block or frozen? - I have previously embedded cell
pellets in sucrose for ultrathin cryosectioning but this seems like a
lot of hassle..........

Thanks
Sonya

-----Original Message-----
From: Edwards, R.E. [mailto:ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk]
Sent: 30 July 2007 15:28
To: Martin S.
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cytospin - misshapen cells

Many  years  ago  I  tried cytospinning various  types  of  cells,
cytospinning introduces  so  many  of  its  own variables, such  as rpm,
time  of  spinning and  cell  concentration, which  markedly affected
the  outcome of  the  quality  of  the  cell  prep, and  the morphology
of  the  cell  depending on  its  position on within  the ring  that  I
abandoned  it  in  favour  of  just  smearing  the  cells
onto  coated  slides or  made  cell  pellets   embedded them  in
agarose  and  treated  it  like  a tissue  block...