[Histonet] re: Saturated lithium carbonate

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Jul 24 11:23:11 CDT 2007

A saturated solution means you should have MORE lithium carbonate than can
go into solution and you will see some of the lithium carbonate salt
sitting on the bottom of the container.  Only so much salt can be dissolved
and with a saturated solution, you exceed that amount that is in solution.

Merck Index:   1 gm dissolves in 78 ml of cold water.  If you add MORE salt
than 1 gm for that amount of water, it will be a saturated solution where
the LiCO3 cannot go totally into solution.

To use a saturated solution, then decant (pour off) some of the liquid from
the top of the salt sitting on the bottom of the bottle but be careful to
not agitate the saturated solution when you do this.

At 03:12 PM 7/23/2007, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone had problems getting lithium carbonate to dissolve in H2O to
>make a saturated aqueous soln?
>
>I have tried 2 different concentrations of lithium carbonate to go
>intosolution.
>
>1. 1.54g in 100ml H2O
>2. 1g in 100ml H2O
>I am trying to make this solution for the Herovici stain, but with
>little success.
>I have called the manufacturer of the lithium carbonate and they said
>that the solution is soluble at 20degC in H2O at a conc. of 1.3g in
>100ml H2O.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor