[Histonet] skeletochronology question

Malcolm McCallum Malcolm.McCallum <@t> tamut.edu
Mon Jul 23 13:43:01 CDT 2007

hello histoland,

A student and I recently did some skeletochronology on some salamanders.  We found a segment of animals with no growth lines (< 1 yr) and then animals up to 11 yrs old.  There was no relationship between age and body size.  Still, the growth rings were present in the bone.  Differences in growth between years was evident, but clearly they were not growing!  This seems to suggest that the growth rings are not useful for modeling growth in this species, or that they reach maximum growth within their first year.

ANy thoughts???

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Texas A&M University Texarkana
2600 Robison Rd.
Texarkana, TX 75501
O: 1-903-223-3134
H: 1-903-791-3843
Homepage: https://www.eagle.tamut.edu/faculty/mmccallum/index.html
VISIT HERPETOLOGICAL CONSERVATION AND BIOLOGY www.herpconbio.org <http://www.herpconbio.org>
A New Journal Published in Partnership with Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
and the World Congress of Herpetology.
Summer Teaching Schedule & Office Hours:
Monday-Thursday:
     Statistics (Math 453) 4-5:50 pm
     Office Hours: 3-4 pm

"Set high standards for yourself, but don't judge others by those standards,"
- Gary Emmert (University of Memphis)