[Histonet] Quality and Turn around, and what about floaters?

Histopatty <@t> aol.com Histopatty <@t> aol.com
Sun Jul 1 09:23:58 CDT 2007

I recently visited a certain company that claimed to have a solution for
consistency in quality stain and an answer to the problem of carry over.  The
stainer stained slides individually thus eliminating carry over in the stain
solution and insuring high quality staining for each slide since the solution was
fresh each time.  We did a comparison of our facility stained slides with
recuts of the same slides stained on their system.  There was a marked difference
in the quality of the biopsies stained, (more subcellular details, such as
villi, and brush boarders are visible) but on the larger specimens the difference
was not so evident.  I applaud the innovation of this company to bring H&E
staining up to higher standards.  However this still leaves me wondering if there
is a way to individualize/optimize processing of specimens.  Obviously the
biopsies are easier to optimize because of their smaller size.  But when it
comes to processing larger specimens the optimization is lost due to many factors:
type of tissue (fat, smooth muscle, etc.), thickness variations, and last but
not least fixation time.  In our facility we train resident pathologist, so
that may be part of the problem, as well as the turn around time issues due to
regulating organization and customer demands.  I am wondering what other
facilities do if anything to optimize specimen processing (which seems essential)
in order to have consistency in the quality of all slides with a turn around
time that is acceptable to all concerned.    We currently have 3 routine
processing schedules, one for biopies, routine specimens and larger fatty specimens.
We utilize 5 processors with staggered starting times.  Any insight or
suggestion will be appreciated.

Patty E.
OUMC