[Histonet] Re: embedding without a station?

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Wed Jan 24 14:11:56 CST 2007

I worked at a large hospital in Toronto in the 80s and they were using
electric griddles for the embedding, along with metal grids and L brackets
for the larger specimens.  The labels were small slips of paper tucked in
the "block".  When the blocks set up they were dumped into a sink of ice
water to cool them.

Jennifer MacDonald

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
01/24/2007 11:43 AM

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Re: embedding without a station?

I've certainly seen an electric fry pan used in place of an embedding
station, at a "little histology lab on the prairie" - an ordinary house
used as a
histology lab (I've seen at least three of these), no ventilation for the
formaldehyde, and God help everybody if the open bucket Technicon catches
fire.

Meanwhile, I suppose, the department of radiology was doing mammograms
with
the X-rays emitted from the back end of an old color TV set?

The red-haired stepchild again.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN