[Histonet] MGH Neuropath and myelin stain history

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 23 11:16:38 CST 2007

Holly!

It is good to hear from you again!
I am sorry for the misinformation.
I had heard, several years ago, that, thanks to managed care,  MGH
Neuropathology had been absorbed into Surgical Histology.
I am glad that it has not been; that would have been a shame, especially
being the lab that Dr. E. P. Richardson led.
Neuropath is a very specialized field in and of itself, even more so
when considering muscle and nerve biopsies.
Thanks for setting me--and the Histonet community- straight on that.

Thanks also for all the very useful information, starting with a history
of the stain at MGH.
All I remember was the card that Evi had in the lab by the time I
arrived on the scene there.
(However, maybe Lithium was mentioned on the card).

By the way, I also find that the hydroquinone/sodium sulfite solution
occasionally turns brown especially if there is not much left in the
bottle or it sits for a long time.
I myself just discard the solution, rinse the bottle with distilled
water a couple of times, and then make a fresh solution with distilled
water.
But like you said, sometimes there is just not enough time for that.

I am also going to keep the information that you and others have given
regarding the Lithium procedure, in case I run into a problem with the
hydroquinone.

It is great hearing from you.

Tim

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
 in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.