[Histonet] Microwave procedure for monitoringtemperature reproducibility

Chaussey, Leslie Lchausse <@t> nmh.org
Thu Jan 18 11:46:43 CST 2007

The specific CAP req ANP.27720 which requires annual monitoring for
microwave leakage was deleted effective 12/12/2006.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Phil
McArdle
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 9:24 AM
To: Zummak Melissa
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Microwave procedure for monitoringtemperature
reproducibility

Hello everyone:

And now a vendor weighs in:

We have several calibration and "accreditation-related" articles
available on our website (www.ebsciences.com ,
http://www.ebsciences.com/papers/microwave_quality.htm ,
http://www.ebsciences.com/pdf/EBS_CAP_RECOMMEND.pdf  ).

In addition, we're happy to see that microwave use in the histology
laboratory is finally being given the scrutiny it deserves. Many of the
suggestions in CLSI's GP-28 guidelines (referenced in other postings)
are excellent, for example, troubleshooting, container placement, power
output determination, and overall, standardization of procedures and
elimination of variables. However, I feel there are some significant
problems with this publication; I have previously informed CLSI of my
primary concern:

Page 11, section 4.7: "A qualified authority CERTIFIED IN USING
MICROWAVE LEAKAGE INSTRUMENTATION [my emphasis] should determine
microwave leakage..." The problem is, to our knowledge, NO SUCH
CERTIFICATION EXISTS! Furthermore, despite repeated requests, CLSI has
not been forthcoming with suggestions. This is not to imply the absence
of extant legislation, Federal and otherwise, regulating the manufacture

and use of microwave devices; manufacturers have to comply with FDA and
other regulations regarding microwaves intended for in-vitro diagnostic
use. But as for leakage detection in the field, we have yet to come
across any relevant (or irrelevant, for that matter) Federal or State
certification. As you can imagine, for institutions deciding to adopt
the more stringent CLSI guidelines, this poses something of a
"Catch-22."

In addition, page 17 outlines the use of a neon bulb array, for those
who aspire to eliminate "hot spots" in the microwave chamber. However,
while this can be a "fun" way to indirectly observe microwave energy,
unless the microwave were horribly defective, it is a fairly useless
exercise. Any object (including the array itself) placed in the
microwave chamber affects the distribution of microwaves, a classic
example of attempted observation affecting the phenomenon observed.

I want to stress, however, that overall, publication GP-28A is an
outstanding effort to provide "recommendations for quality assurance and

safety procedures for microwave equipment use" in their words, and to
help troubleshoot and eliminate variability in results of microwave
usage.

Best regards,

Phil McArdle
--

Microwave Product Manager

Energy Beam Sciences, Inc.
29-B Kripes Rd.
East Granby, CT 06026

Tel:  800.992.9037 x 341
Fax: 860.653.0422

pmcardle <@t> ebsciences.com
www.ebsciences.com

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
- Mahatma Gandhi

NOTE: This message, together with any attachments, is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain information that is legally privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, however, there's
not a lot I can do about it; please do the right thing and make it go
away. Thank you.