[Histonet] TEM for paraffin embedded tissue section??

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 09:30:30 CST 2007

Dear Choi:
  In extreme cases (then there was no more material in the block) we have done that.
  Place the the embedding cone (with the tip removed) with the not cured plastic over the area of the section you want to process. Holding both secure together, cure the plastic as usual.
  When curing is completed remove the cone that will now include the area of the section stuck to the cured resine.
  With extreme care orient the cone and section it with the ultramicrotome. Stain as usual with your opaque stain.
  Fixation will not be ideal, but some useful images can be obtained.
  Hope this will help you.
  René J.

Choi Ul Soo <cytologer <@t> msn.com> wrote:
  Hello Dear Histonetters!

would anyone there tell me the story about using paraffin embedded tissue
section
for TEM analysis?
I have seen several reports reading that they used paraffin embedded
tissues for
transmisison electron microscopy, but our technician is not familiar to
this method.

Would the results be consistent regardless of the objects of interest,
fixation or
tissues? I'd like to get findings indicative of neuroendocrine origins from
a canine
lung mass fixed in formalin, and paraffin embedded tisse section.

Please share your experiences and give me advice.

Any inputs would be very much appreciated.

Ul Soo Choi
DVM, PhD
VMTH 208, CVM, Seoul National University, Shilim9 dong, Gwanakgu,
Seoul, Korea 151-742
Tel. 82-02-880-8688
Mobile. 82-016-9228-8634
Fax. 82-02-880-8662