[Histonet] Re: Block indentifiers

Jesus Ellin JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org
Fri Jan 12 09:24:10 CST 2007

We are currently going to be putting 2D barcodes on our cassettes to satisfy this requirment,  the problem comes when your PIS is down and you are hand writing cassettes.  But if the last name is the only thing that you put on this block how is it going to give an Identification.  You will need the entire name on there to really have any type of use to find out information.

Jesus A. Ellin HT/PA ASCP
Yuma Regional Medical Center
Histology Systems Technologist
Pathology Information Systems
928-336-7444 or 928-336-1144
Fax: 928-336-7319

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 7:58 AM
To: mhkatie <@t> aol.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Re: Block indentifiers

Word of caution about patient's name in cassettes or slides:

  check you "confidentiality policies" before doing that because the patient's name will be available to any with access to either the cassette or the slide.
  We never allowed that type of "second" identification.
  René J.

mhkatie <@t> aol.com wrote:

Our facility puts the patients last name on the cassettes as the second identifier.

Ann Lynde
Medicine Hat Diagnostic Laboratory
Medicine Hat, Alberta
403-527-3989