[Histonet] Re: Liquid nitrogen, mouse spleen - Freezing tissues

Andrea Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Thu Jan 4 12:01:04 CST 2007

I second Gayle's technique described below. It is wonderful. After
spending so many years fixated on isopentane in liquid nitrogen and
getting cracked blocks in order to adhere with what was
histologically correct, I have finally moved onto the floating boat
technique and my frozens look nearly as good as paraffin sections.
The only difference is that I use metal floating boats (read:
sterilization trays) instead of plastic petri dishes. This way the
blocks cool even quicker - better for the tissue and morphology -
though they still don't shatter.  I finally feel liberated :)