[Histonet] External diameter of large vein

Robert Chiovetti rchiovetti <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 23:57:57 CST 2007

Dr. Tahseen,

Are you able to make digital pictures of the large veins at low magnification on the microscope?  I would make a suggestion that you investigate using this approach.  Even if you have to take several pictures to cover the entire field, the pictures can be combined or "stitched" together for measurement.

Taking pictures in digital format, or taking pictures with film and then scanning them (to convert them to a digital format) would give you lots of possibilities to then use a computer to make the measurements.

You would require measuring software to do this, and the software would have to be calibrated so it would give you the proper measurements and units.  There are several good packages that would do this.  A good place to start is the link below.

The Software is called Image J.  It is free, at least in the United States.  It was developed by our National Institutes of Health.  I don't know whether the link will allow you to download from a foreign country, but it's worth looking into.  You can get details at:

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/features.html

Best regards,

Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.
Southwest Precision Instruments
Arizona's Microscopy Resource
132 North Elster Drive
Tucson, AZ 85710-3212
Tel./Fax 520-546-4986
www.swpinet.com
Member, Arizona Small Business Association
(www.asba.com)