[Histonet] Questions for John Kiernan

Sarah Jones hawkmoon15 <@t> cox.net
Mon Feb 26 15:36:14 CST 2007

Hello John,

I have a couple of questions for you, if you would be so kind as to answer:

1)  Is there a problem with the Alcian Blue that's on the market today?  We
are having problems with the acid mucin being masked by the hematoxylin.  I
am aware that some hematoxylins do stain mucin, but this just doesn't look
like the AB/PAS-H I have been used to seeing over the years.

2)  Is there a treatment for aspergillus that will cause it not to stain
with Schiff's?  I have used aspergillus for a PAS fungus control for years,
and have never seen this problem before.  It stains fine with a GMS.

Thank you for any help you can give me.  I have your book Histological and
Histochemical Methods Theory & Practice and have not found the answer to my
fungus question in it, although you explain about Alcian Blue and I found
reading that helpful.

Thank you again!

Sarah A. Jones