[Histonet] Extended time in paraffin

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 23 12:29:11 CST 2007

Paul,

Ahh! the voice of reason!
No kidding, even 5-7 days or more won't 'overfix' because there is NO such
thing as 'overfixation' in NBF.

Bryan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monfils, Paul" <PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 1:18 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Extended time in paraffin

Personally I don't believe that a couple of days in formalin will "overfix"
anything, and large fatty tissues like breast and colon specimens can only
benefit from additional fixation time. That having been said, if you do want
to limit the fixation time, why don't you program the processor to keep the
tissue in the fixative in station 1 for the desired length of time, then go
into an extended 70% ethanol in station 2, where the tissue can be held
safely for as long as necessary before proceeding into 95% ethanol and the
rest of the cycle on sunday night as usual.