[Histonet] New Microwave Cap Regulation

Lance Erickson Lance.Erickson <@t> intermountainmail.org
Fri Feb 23 11:58:19 CST 2007

Be careful and check the new CAP checklist that went into effect December of 2006. ANP 29430 about the venting is not the question that addresses the lab vs. home grade microwaves. The new checklist question is as follows:

**NEW**		12/12/2006

ANP.27170             Phase I	N/A   YES   NO

Are microwave devices used in accordance with manufacturer's instructions?

NOTE:  Microwave devices should be used in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, unless CAP requirements are more stringent.

And Stacey the question about microwave leakage ANP 27720 for measuring the devices annually to ensure the 5mW/cm2 leakage from the surface has been deleted. The leakage has been incorporated into ANP 28290 that is as follows:

**NEW**		10/06/2005
**REVISED**	12/12/2006

ANP.28290             Phase I	N/A   YES   NO

Are microwave devices periodically monitored for reproducibility?

NOTE:  "Reproducibility" is defined as consistency in diagnostic quality obtained from microwave equipment and procedures.  For some devices, reproducibility may be evaluated by monitoring the temperatures of identical samples after microwave processing.  For those microwave devices (particularly those incorporated into histology processing equipment) that use temperature-independent methods to evaluate reproducibility, the laboratory should have a written procedure for monitoring reproducibility that follows instrument manufacturer's instructions.  Information on such procedures is given in the reference to this checklist question (see below).

The microwave device should be tested for radiation leakage if there is visible damage to the device.

It is a good idea to go to the CAP website and print off the changes to the AP checklist. There is also changes to ANP 28860 about containers in the microwave.

Hope this info is helpful.

Lance Erickson, PA, HTL (ASCP)
Primary Children's Medical Center
Salt Lake City, UT