[Histonet] PAS stain for nail fungus

rsrichmond <@t> aol.com rsrichmond <@t> aol.com
Thu Feb 22 12:09:24 CST 2007

Dr. Allen Smith's recent post reminds me of a question I've been meaning to post to Histonet.

Podiatrists are now performing biopsies of toenails with nail fungus, in order to get a fungal stain (PAS is being requested, I think) done. Apparently the insurance companies are now requiring a biopsy or culture diagnosis of fungal disease before they'll pay for the very expensive systemic drugs for nail fungus like terbinafine (Lamisil).

Is anyone on Histonet getting these requests? What protocols do you use to cut and stain these difficult specimens?

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN