[Histonet] (no subject)

Abigail M. Butler am3309 <@t> uga.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:21:54 CST 2007

I also agree with the other lady that said you may want to add Tween 20 into your wash buffer. Another thought........are you getting this effect on the control tissue only or on all of your tissue? If it's only your control it could be that your level of antigen retrieval buffer is going down and not covering your sections. Or you are letting your slides dry out somewhere. Make sure your slides are completely covered at all times.
Hope you figure it out!

Abbie Butler, HT (ASCP)
University of Georgia
College of Veterinary Medicine

We are having intermittent difficulties with IHC staining. We are
staining well fixed prostate core biopsies for AMACR and p63 using the
PIN2 cocktail. We do a pressure cooker HIER and stain on the Dako
Autostainer. We use slides that have the control tissue on the top,
patient tissue on the lower 2/3rds.

We are running into a condition we call "train-tracking". Looking at a
core longitudinally, the center will stain, but the edges will not. The
artifact is very linear, with sharp cut-off between staining and
non-staining. We do not see this artifact with our CK stain, which we
do not use retrieval for.

Dako has been out to level the racks and check the probe tips, but the
problem keeps coming back. Anyone else deal with something like this?

Thanks,

Lester J. Raff, MD
Medical Director
UroPartners, LLC Laboratory