[Histonet] Permanent microscopic slide

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 10:44:25 CST 2007

Masha:
  Such a broad question would require a broader answer, i.e. a book about plant microscopy, and it would also depend on what are you trying to make permanent slides from.

  The size you specify, is it "nm" = nanometer or was it a "wondering" finger trying to write "mm" = millimeter? The approach would be completelly different.

  If your plant material is in the "mm" (or even "nm" size range) you would have to go with the classical methods used for diatoms and use a water soluble medium and seal the coverslip (ideally round) with a liquid sealant that will harden when dried.

  You could try to dehydrate and "clear" your material and for that purpose the drying and clearing (i.e. subject the material to an agent miscible with the final anhydrous mounting medium) will have to be done in centrifuge tubes and the process carried out by centrifugation that will assure to keep the material and not lose it while being transferred from one step to the next.

  If this is what you are going to do, after each centrifugation use a dropper to remove the medium (which ever it is for the step) and add the next, until you get to the final one when you are going to extract as much as possible and with the same dropper get a drop with your specimens, place then in a slide, add the mounting medium, either Canada balsam (even if this sound too old fashioned), of resin of Damar or Permount. Cover with the coverslip afterwards, remove the excess around the coverslip and let it dry (the drying time depending on the medium).
  Good luck with your permanent slides!
René J.

"mgolbaba <@t> uoguelph.ca" <mgolbaba <@t> uoguelph.ca> wrote:
  Hello everyone,

I am interested in preparing permanent microscopic slides of my plant
specimens (size = nm). Would you let me know about its method or any
necessary info?
Thanks a lot.

Mahsa

Mahsa Golbabaie
MSc Student,
Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph, Canada
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
Email: mgolbaba <@t> uoguelph.ca
mgolbaba <@t> engmail.uwaterloo.ca