[Histonet] interaction of techs with pathologist assistants

Jesus Ellin JEllin <@t> yumaregional.org
Tue Feb 13 11:17:30 CST 2007

Speaking from experience, doing the gross, I like to make my own cassettes.  This allows me the security that I am the one writing the number on the case and that there is no discrepancy with this.  Secondly we currently are completely automated which makes things even better I order my own cassettes on every case and also put them into the basket so they are lined up by numberical oreder as well as in order of priorty.  This helps the techs in the morning with cutting.  But I have to agree with Renee, route 2 is better.  The only people that get any help at the gross room is the Pathologist, but they are even starting to use the computer to order cassettes while grossing.  IF you have any questions please feel free to give me a call.

Jesus A. Ellin HT/PA ASCP
Yuma Regional Medical Center
Histology Systems Technologist
Pathology Information Systems
928-336-7444 or 928-336-1144
Fax: 928-336-7319

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:49 AM
To: Vickroy, Jim; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] interaction of techs with pathologist assistants

The assistance varies from place to place. From 3 institutions I can talk about here is how it was done:
  1- the techs did the cassetting from specimens selected and left in jars by the PA (hours after that selection took place);
  2- the PAs did everything, including cassetting and placing them into the baskets (only the baskets were handled by the techs); and
  3- a tech worked side by side with the PA and prepared the cassettes the moment the grossing was completed.
  The most efficient way is in "case 2".
  René J.

"Vickroy, Jim" <Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com> wrote:

I would appreciate information from other institutions on how much technical assistance a pathologist assistant requires or gets when doing grossing of specimens.

Our pa's handle most of the larger specimens and many of my techs think that the pa's need more assistance here than at other institutions. I realize that duties and expectations probably vary but I am trying to get a handle on usual practices. Most of us have been around before pa's existed and have always assisted pathologists but are somewhat vague on how much help a pa should have. I would appreciate any information you would have. Currently we having techs grossing small surgicals by themselves and assisting pa's with the larger surgical specimens.

Jim Vickroy

Technical Supervisor - Surgical and Autopsy Pathology

Memorial Medical Center

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

This message is confidential, intended only for the named
recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged
or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are
not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in error,
or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender
at either the e-mail, fax, address, or telephone number
listed above and delete this e-mail from your computer.
Thank you.