[Histonet] interaction of techs with pathologist assistants

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 10:49:25 CST 2007

The assistance varies from place to place. From 3 institutions I can talk about here is how it was done:
  1- the techs did the cassetting from specimens selected and left in jars by the PA (hours after that selection took place);
  2- the PAs did everything, including cassetting and placing them into the baskets (only the baskets were handled by the techs); and
  3- a tech worked side by side with the PA and prepared the cassettes the moment the grossing was completed.
  The most efficient way is in "case 2".
  René J.

"Vickroy, Jim" <Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com> wrote:

I would appreciate information from other institutions on how much
technical assistance a pathologist assistant requires or gets when doing
grossing of specimens.

Our pa's handle most of the larger specimens and many of my techs think
that the pa's need more assistance here than at other institutions. I
realize that duties and expectations probably vary but I am trying to
get a handle on usual practices. Most of us have been around before
pa's existed and have always assisted pathologists but are somewhat
vague on how much help a pa should have. I would appreciate any
information you would have. Currently we having techs grossing small
surgicals by themselves and assisting pa's with the larger surgical
specimens.

Jim Vickroy

Technical Supervisor - Surgical and Autopsy Pathology

Memorial Medical Center

specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.