[Histonet] Re: Animal tissues.

Galina Deyneko galinadeyneko <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 10:03:20 CST 2007

Dear Colleagues.
  A also would like to share my positive experience for softening animal tissues with glycerin solution. I worked with mouse,rat, rabbit and monkeys.
  I do not use exact  percent solution, but let say 1 part of glycerol, 1part of soft liquid soap and 2 parts of distilled water. Usually, I wet the several layers of paper towel with this solution, placed on flat tray or cold plate, place the trimmed blocks upside down on the wet towel and place a tray at 4C overnight. Of cause, be careful with first section, tissue might be swelling. I have no problems with IHC or standard staining methods.
  In Russia we made the old archive formalin fixed  specimens more soft by placing them in castor oil overnight before processing (we did processing manually in the ovens 37 C and 56 C), but I am not sure, that  such method  is suitable for  research.
  Many thanks for James Watson for the idea with glycerin, because I had a lot of problems with rodent hearts.
  best regards.
  Galina Deyneko.
  Novartis,Cambridge MA,
  617-871-7613