[Histonet] Vibratome sectioning of lung

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Wed Feb 7 14:51:33 CST 2007

Has anyone sectioned lung on a vibratome or similar machine?  I have used the vibratome for many years on various kinds of tissue, such as liver, kidney, brain, etc., both unembedded and embedded in agarose, agar, or gelatin. Generally speaking, few problems. But now someone has asked me to section some agarose-embedded mouse lungs and I'm not having any success at all.  Regardless of what speed and oscillation settings I use and regardless of what type of knife I use, the tissue compresses on the knife edge instead of slicing, and eventually pulls out of the block. Any recommendations would be appreciated.