[Histonet] Re: Art vs Science

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Mon Feb 5 13:56:32 CST 2007

Worthwhile to clarify some words here.

Until fairly recently there wasn't any "Art with a capital A" - paintings by
some guy with a beret starving in a garret and poisoning himself with lead and
chromium and maybe cutting an ear off every now and then. In olden times when
people called something an "art", all they meant was that it was a skill
someone had learned. The word needed is "craft". The distinction between "fine
art" and "humble craft" is a recent one, and in my opinion one we'd all be better
off without.

Pathology, histotechnology, and in fact all of medicine are crafts, helped
along by varying amounts of science.

A well known aphorism of Hippocrates (the half-legendary Greek physician over
two thousand years ago) is that "life is short and art is long" (in Latin:
vita brevis, ars longa). In Hippocrates' original Greek the word "art" is techne
(skill or craft), and that's what the Latin means also.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN