[Histonet] UNCLE!

Morken, Tim tim.morken <@t> thermofisher.com
Mon Feb 5 13:05:26 CST 2007

Tim Morken

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden,
Sara
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 10:36 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] UNCLE!

I have read with interest the responses to my Innocent Post about "art
vs science" and I am a Changed Woman.  My original thought was not that
I did not appreciate being called an "artist", but simply that the
remark was made without regard to the years of training and experience
that got me to the point that I can be called such.  There is not a
single day that I do not look at my simple little H&Es, ready to go to
the docs, and experience a surge of pride that I do beautiful work
(humbly speaking, of course).  My point was that I was being portrayed
(there's that Art thing again...) as being able to produce such work
without giving credence to the training and experience necessary to do
so.  I do not believe for a minute that the observer meant any harm at
all! I am quite happy that my work is beautiful (and my bosses have used
that term many a time - for which I am humbled but proud), but also that
it gives them the wherewithal to use their expertise to solve a mystery.
I am happy to have had so much response to this, giving me the
opportunity to reevaluate the subject and perhaps see it from another
perspective.  So, although my queries are not always technically-based
and requiring highly technical input, it is these small subjects that
allow us to exchange views and see the world differently.  I shall now
shake off my apron and dust off my easel and do some special stains.
And wonder at their beauty.  Thank you - everyone.  This is a unique and
valuable resource, this Histonet.

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services