[Histonet] Sentinel node procedure

Orr, Rebecca ROrr <@t> enh.org
Mon Feb 5 12:16:19 CST 2007

 We use a method modified from Cochran
(March AJSP 30(3); 419-420.2006 (letter)
 Our modification is as follows.
10 levels are cut from designated block.
(We  use an identifier  on the block to highlight the special handling
needed)

The depth between each level varies with the thickness of the sections.
I generally try to take a section at around 50-80 micron intervals.
The first sections taken from the block should not resemble the last
sections. (making sure you have gone "deep" enough) All sections are
placed on "plus" slides

H/E on levels 1, 3, 5 and 10
Level 2 one slide for S100 (keep an extra unstained)
Level 4 and 6 for Pan Melanoma Cocktail- Biocare (keep an extra
unstained) Levels 7, 8, 9 remain unstained in case there's a need for
further study.

I believe the Cochran method describes using HMB-45 at level 4 and
Mart-1 at level 6

Hope this helps!
Brrrrrrrrrr!

Becky