[Histonet] Art vs Science

Pat Flannery pjfnefro <@t> duke.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:12:04 CST 2007

  I have to agree with Barry on this one.  While the science of
histology can be learned, albeit sometimes with great effort, and
those who have expended that considerable effort to acquire
proficiency at tissue preparation and staining can be justifiably
proud of their accomplishment, being considered an artist is
recognition by others that your work transcends proficiency.  An
artist is not only a competent technician or craftsman, but also
possesses an innate ability to produce work that is aesthetically
pleasing and has value beyond the diagnostic.  I would hope all of us
would aspire to produce work that is not only acceptable and useful,
but actually beautiful.

Personally, I can think of no greater compliment to a scientist than
that his or her work is beautiful.

-Patrick J. (Pat) Flannery
   Division of Nephrology (that's kidneys to you)
   Box 3014 (that's NOT "PO" just "Box")
   Duke University Medical Center (although I went to UNC-CH)
   Durham, NC  27710
   E-mail: pjfnefro <@t> duke.edu (preferred)
                 FLANN002 <@t> MC.DUKE.EDU (also works)
   Voice:   (919)660-6863
   Fax:       (919)684-2929
   Cell:      (919)606-0163

   Bet that's more than you ever wanted to know about me!