[Histonet] ASCP Exam Long opinion

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Sun Feb 4 09:46:01 CST 2007

Patsy,
I am closer to you than you think. At my first lab after histology school at
Keesler AFB, MS, I had to assist on bone marrows and worked in the blood
drawing room when I had no pathologist. I saw how bone marrows were
performed and it scared me to death when I had to embed and cut the blocks.
I didn't not want to mess it up and then have the patient return for another
procedure because of my mistake.
    There were many retirees in Miami that were getting cancer treatment at
the base. Often, the regular patients would request me to draw their blood
because I also joked with them and was able to get the blood on the first
try. I remember one lady was trying to fix me up with her granddaughter, a
total knockout. She had told her granddaughter so much about me that the
granddaughter was coming done for the summer. Unfortunately, the grandmother
succumbed to cancer and I never had the chance to meet her. The attending
wanted an autopsy. I was the only tech so I had to assist on it. When the
pathologist and I were about to start, I got teary eyed. The doc asked what
was up, so I told him. He told me to go back to the lab and he would get
someone else to put her back in the cooler when he was done, all I had to do
was clean up.
    Number 1= you are right, we just don't have the patient interaction we
used to. It is hard for tech to try in put a face with the block. Still, to
this day, 3 years later, I remember those experiences. Experiences that
students today may or may not experience.
    Number 2= some pathologists today would not have understood and would
tell me to suck it up. Today it's more of a turn around time/insurance
payment issue than ever.

Joe