[Histonet] Re: Nuclear Fast Red

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Sat Feb 3 11:13:40 CST 2007

I have not used Anatech's "Brazilliant", but I have used homemade alum
brazilin with good results.  I assume that Anatech's premix would be as good
or better than my home brew.  Because the stain is not as dense as
hematoxylin, it is very good for thick sections.  Nuclear detail is a little
sharper than what one gets with nuclear faxt red.  My home brewed brazillin
is not completely selective for nuclei: it stains keratin and stains
collagen lightly.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 11:29 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Nuclear Fast Red

Beth Delescavage asks about sources for nuclear fast red.

Nuclear fast red is a dye whose future is pretty uncertain. Anatech offers
an
alternative, "Brazilliant", brazilin in alum. Brazilin is a natural dye
botanically and chemically related to hematoxylin, but it's red.

Has anybody on the list tried this stuff? With what results?

(I have no connection with Anatech.)

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN