[Histonet] ASCP Exam Long opinion

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 2 19:02:14 CST 2007

I agree with you Barry. Techs need to know how the procedure is working to
be able to troubleshoot when something happens. Is it the machine or the
procedure? That's what I stressed when I was giving my intro to IHC
lectures. Something intricate like immunos should be done manually until the
tech is familiar with the procedure before they put slides on a machine.
But, then again, I've been told that I'm a dinosaur. Oh well, it's Friday, I
think I'll have a scotch. Enjoy

Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rittman, Barry R" <Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu>
To: "Edwards, R.E." <ree3 <@t> leicester.ac.uk>; "Jasper, Thomas G."
<TJasper <@t> smdc.org>
Cc: <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 8:59 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] ASCP Exam Long opinion

Nothing is black and white nowadays and I think that the current
discussion on Histonet is important in putting forward all points of
view..

I agree that automation is very important for producing consistent
results and in many ways these have relieved us of tedious, repetitive
tasks.
I also respect the supervisors who are often stuck between a rock and a
hard place.

The problem I currently see is that in many cases these machines may be
operated in a robotic fashion. If the individual operating the machine
is knowledgeable about the process taking place be it histochemical,
immunochemical or special stains and can take appropriate steps if
problems arise then there should be no problem.
Unfortunately in today's market, not just for histology, the emphasis
appears to be on minimal qualifications to carry out a task. This may
work perfectly well in those cases where instructions are concise and
easily followed and solutions changed at specific intervals and times
adhered to.
However, I believe something is lost to the histotechs in such a
situation.

After all I operate my car with minimal knowledge of the mechanics and
electronics. However were I to get paid to operate my car I would hope
that I had time and make the effort to try understand the processes
involved. I would consider this part of responsibilities and also a
bonus in enhancing my work experience.
My point is, are we going to "progress" into an era where we are just
button pushers?
This automation also releases individual so that many histotechs may
carry out tasks that never used to be their responsibility.
This appears to be a national trend. As an example, I am paid as a
faculty member here but my time spent includes memos, filing etc. a task
originally carried out by secretarial staff. It is not that I resent
doing such tasks but after all I am paid more than secretaries and the
"secretarial tasks" never appear anywhere in my yearly report of
activities.

Perhaps we will end up with histotechs plus a second group of button
pushers? Perhaps secretaries will be reincarnated  - probably not.

I guess that I am from an era where work was varied and pleasurable
rather than one in which the bottom line was the aim, and where employee
and employees worked as a team.
Hoe that this makes sense, this has been a one coffee morning so far.
Barry