[Histonet] starting a new lab

godsgalnow <@t> aol.com godsgalnow <@t> aol.com
Fri Feb 2 15:13:15 CST 2007

Joyce,

There are many variations to programs out there, it depends on if you want to use formalin or formalin substitutes, xylene or xylene substitues, etc.  But typically, for a normal run depending on how thick the skins are cut in (I personally would do bone marrow on a separate run omitting the formalins, but that is my bias).

Here is my opinion:

formalin                                       1 hour
formalin                                       1 hour
70 % alcohol                                45 minutes
95 % alcohol                                1 hour
95 % alcohol                                45 minutes
100 % alcohol                              45 minutes
100 % alcohol                              1 hour
1/2 100 % alcohol % 1/2 xylene       45 minutes
xylene                                         45 minutes
xylene                                         1 hour
paraplast plus                               45 minutes           at 59 degrees
paraplast plus                               45 minutes               ditto
paraplast plus                               45 minutes               ditto

for a biopsy run
I would do the same thing but cut the time down to 15 - 20 minutes per station

If I can be of any other help, let me know......

Roxanne Soto HT(ASCP)QIHC
Lab Manager
Physicians RightPath
Tampa