[Histonet] Alcohols - clarification - help needed

Tracy Bergeron tracy.bergeron <@t> biogenidec.com
Fri Dec 28 07:06:49 CST 2007

Hi folks,

        Our lab is trying to trying to change to an alcohol that is less
harsh on rodent tissue than your typical reagent grade alcohols can be.
We've considered moving to pure EtOH, but the company we work for is not
all that keen on dealing with the regulations etc involved with it's use.
        So....  We've been looking at the products offered by
Pharmco-Aaper and have come across some confusing information, at least to
me anyway.  Yes I have emailed the sales rep and am waiting for her reply.
        Pure EtOH is listed as 200 proof and anhydrous, 95% EtOH is listed
as 190 Proof.  When you look at the denatured alcohols you end up seeing
EtOH mixed with various and sundry solvents like Toluene, unleaded
gasoline, etc etc.  But where I get stuck is when the spec sheet says that
the EtOH is 190 proof in toluene, but does not list the water content, yet
does not say it is anhydrous.  Can we assume that a 190 proof EtOH is
these cases is the same as 95% EtOH with 5% water?   My assumption is that
if it doesn't say it is anhydrous then it is not whether the water content
is listed on the spec sheet or not.

        Have any of you out there used the Aaper denatured alcohols, that
are not the reagent grade?  Also regarding the pure EtOH that is ACS and
is a synthetic product, is that regulated by the ATF,  as is grain
alcohol?  My limited understanding of synthetic vs grain alcohol is that
the synthetic is not used in food products - and I don't think it is
drinkable, but I could be wrong.  Any ides on this.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tracy E. Bergeron, B.S., HT, HTL (ASCP)
Associate Scientist III, Pathology