[Histonet] Golgi Cox

Bob Nienhuis bob.nienhuis <@t> gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 11:53:25 CST 2007

Re: Golgi-Cox
Why is it only used by researchers?
Well, as a University/ VA researcher who occasionally uses Golgi-Cox, I'm
not
sure why it is not used clinically. I do have a few guesses though.
1. Time. It takes several weeks to do the the impregnation,  and I would
guess
    that clinicians want answers STAT.

2. I don't know of any conditions for which it is particularly useful
diagnostically.

In general, Golgi-Cox stains only about 1-2 % of neural (brain) cells, but
those
that it does stain, it stains completely, with the full dendritic
arborization and
displays dendritic spines nicely. I think it would take a combination of
several
IHC stains to get the same information. Also, IHC would stain ALL of the
cells,
not just a few, thereby making it hard to see which dendrite belongs to
which
cell body.
We use Golgi as a cell morphology and anatomy tool.  I'm not sure of much in
the way of clinical relevance.

Re: Disposal
 We send all of the waste to a disposal company. We are OK with that as the
costs for this don't come out of OUR budget or grant funds.

Bob Nienhuis
UCLA / Sepulveda VA Medical Center
Los Angeles