[Histonet] manual IHC queries

Tarango, Mark mtarango <@t> nvcancer.org
Wed Dec 12 10:53:19 CST 2007

I do sometimes use coverslips when doing IHC by hand.  The humidity in
Las Vegas is pretty low, so evaporation is always an issue.  The
Ventana's instruments use a coat of oil, over the aqueous antibody
solution, to prevent evaporation.  You could try using a lightweight
mineral oil too.

Mark Adam Tarango HT(ASCP)
Histology & IHC Supervisor
Nevada Cancer Institute
One Breakthrough Way
Las Vegas, NV  89135
Direct Line (702) 822-5112
Treo (702) 759-9229
Fax (702) 939-7663

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of louise
renton
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:36 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] manual IHC queries

Hi all,

Firstly: As a matter of interest - when using small amounts of primary
antibody does anyone use  coverslips to spread the solution over the
section
and keep it from evaporating during the incubation? (i do use a humidity
chamber also).  I have been doing this for ages and wondering if there
is an
alternative to use other than the coverslips that may be cheaper - any
suggestions??

secondly, Although 30min incubations are recommended, is there any value
increasing incubation times of secondary and ABC complexes to improve
sensitivity? In other words is there a maximal binding period after
which no
improvement will be noted?

I hope I have made myself clear here....these are just passing wednesday
thoughts in preparation for the usual  friday meltdown!
--
Louise Renton
Bone Research Unit

"EMF <nvcancer.org>" made the following annotations.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary,
and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or
distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you
believe you have received this e-mail message in error,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message