[Histonet] RE:Slide quality -wrinkles

Prior, Andrew Andrew.Prior <@t> Smith-Nephew.com
Mon Dec 3 02:43:14 CST 2007

I picked up this useful tip at the NSH conference in Denver. Thanks to
whoever it was that suggested that tip. It's been a godsend these last
two weeks cutting tricky bone samples.
Once you pick up your section from the waterbath, place on a hotplate at
70deg C for 10-15 seconds before moving to your normal drying set-up.
This brief heating is enough to melt the wax and most small wrinkles
disappear. I've not seen any negative effect on the tissue quality or
staining, just nice smooth sections.

Of course you should check if the problems are with processing or a
specific tech, but sometimes the tissue doesn't want to cut nicely and
this helps.

Andrew Prior
Confidentiality.
This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Smith & Nephew and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, or someone authorised by the intended addressee to receive transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain, disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message.

Smith & Nephew UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales No.4421171 with registered office at 15 Adam Street, London WC2N 6LA