[Histonet] sheep/goat double labeling problem

David A. Wright dw18 <@t> uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:33:32 CDT 2007

Hi Jonathan & Histonet
Apologies if you already got help here - I only read the
digest and didn't see a reply. Your problem is not with
"BrdU/Doublecortin double labeling " i.e. the epitopes but
with the hosts the Abs were raised in - sheep and goat.  These
are evolutionarily very close together and so their IgGs have
not diverged much in sequence. Consequently there is huge
interspecies cross reaction between anti-goat or anti-sheep
secondaries (which are polyclonal).  So the secondary (say,
anti-goat) against your second primary (made in goat) will
also bind in large part to the first primary (made in sheep) -
is that what you saw?.

You could look for secondaries that have been adsorbed against
the offending species, or you could use your existing reagents
and just include serum of the first primary-host species
(sheep, in the example) in with your second incubation
secondary mix (the anti-goat step in my example).  You will
lose a lot of activity that way and will probably need to up
your Ab concentration accordingly.

But why don't you use more distinct hosts for your primaries?
 There are a plethora of anti-BrdU antibodies out there and
you can surely find something different from either goat or
your study species. If you are not working on a mouse tissues
with high endogenous IgGs, I'd recommend the BD MAb 347850. It
only needs a very simple denaturation procedure before the
primary:
Immerse the slides in 0.07 N NaOH for 2 minutes.
Immerse the slides in  PBS, pH 8.5, to neutralize the base.
- none of that cooking in HCl and/or formamide for hours.
The clone is B44 so you may find the same MAb from other
suppliers too.

-hope this helps

David Wright
Section of Neurosurgery