[Histonet] microwaves in labs

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 22 10:49:47 CDT 2007

Don't you like decorating with carbol fuchsin? I've seen the inside of a
microwave done in that lovely shade of fuchsia.
Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Northwestern University
Pathology Core Facility
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joe
Nocito
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:49 AM
To: Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED);
Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] microwaves in labs

Jeanine,
we use a home microwave that has a counter top fume hood over it. We
calibrate the temp twice a year. While checking the temps, we also check
for
microwave leakage.
Now, here I go again. I have my flame retardant suit on because I can
already feel the flames coming.
    Some people are saying you have to use a laboratory grade microwave
and
not a home use one. I agree with this statement 100%, if you are
processing
tissue. If you are just using the microwave to perform special stains or
the
occasional heat slides, I don't see the need to spend all that money on
lab grade microwave.
    I've been using microwaves for specials for over 20 years and with
the
exception of the rare over heating of Carbol Fuschin (big mess) I've
never
had a microwave blow up. And you have to admit, the microwaves today are
lot safer than the ones 20 years ago.

JTT