[Histonet] Peloris versus Sakura X-press

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 17:01:54 CDT 2007

Erin:
  Just a word of caution: you are talking about "two different animals".

  Peloris is essentially a conventional tissue processor (TP) with some innovations, like the use of propanol as antemedium and its elimination by quickly heating the tissues off the propanol, before immersing them in paraffin. Protocols last approximately as any other conventional TP. It can process up to 600 cassettes in 9h, or 100 bx in 1.5 hours.

  X-Press is a mix of microwave (2 retorts) with conventional heating (2 additional retorts). In the first 2 dehydration and antemedium are treated with a low wattage microwave system. In the last 2 retorts infiltration takes place. The time the tissues (up to a maximum of 40 cassettes only) remain in each retort is 15 minutes, and you can add 40 cassettes to the first one every 15 minutes and get as many processed cassettes every 15 minutas after the first 45 minutes.

  Price is also for sure different, although I don't know the price of Peloris, the X-Press is sold for $250,000 and I don't think there is a single lab. using both.
  As you can see, they are "two different animals">
René J.

Erin Herter <ekh9535 <@t> bjc.org> wrote:
  I would like to hear from anyone out there with either of or possibly both of these processors. We are especially interested in how it processes stereotactic breast biopsies. I would like to know how long it is taking to process these specimens AFTER the required 6 hour formalin fixation CAP requires for HER-2's. If you are using a different protocol than the recommended CAP, what are you doing and how did you do your validation study?
Thank you very much in advance to anyone and everyone who can help me with this decision.
Erin

The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it. Pearl S. Buck

Erin Herter, MLT (ASCP)
Lead Technician, Histology Department
Alton Memorial Hospital
One Memorial Drive