[Histonet] Labeling of control slides for Special stains and IHC

Weems, Joyce JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org
Mon Aug 13 19:29:45 CDT 2007

And we date the controls and file them by date.

Joyce

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 5:13 PM
To: Foshey, Annette; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Labeling of control slides for Special stains and IHC

Annette:
  Sound somewhat complicated. We used to do as follows:
  1-single cases with single control: both with the case (both with case number);
  2-multiple cases with single control: these type of controls in a separate file with the date the test for the multiple cases were done.
  René J.

"Foshey, Annette" <AFoshey <@t> chw.org> wrote:
  We have had some discussion on how to label the control slides recently and I would like to get input from other labs on how they label the controls and how they identify where the controls are filed. We currently use Powerpath (v 8.3) labels to label our stains which include the pathology number, the name of the stain, the patient name and the institution. The control slides are labeled QC: followed by the name of stain and we would write the case number on the slide label and when the slide is filed it is filed with the case. When multiple patient slides for the same stain were stained the positive control was listed on the patient slide on the bottom of the label indicating the case number of the control. . The pathologists are changing the labeling to the date only on the control slide and the batch number. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Annette Foshey, HT (ASCP)
Team Leader in Histology
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
414-266-6580 Fax 414-266-2779
afoshey <@t> chw.org

Children's Hospital and Health System recognizes that unencrypted e-mail is insecure and does not guarantee confidentiality. The confidentiality of replies to this message cannot be guaranteed unless the replies are encrypted.