[Histonet] Re: How many years you keep paraffin blocks and slides?

Larry Woody slappycraw <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 14:06:16 CDT 2007

"Meanwhile, as
hospitals add ever more bureaucrats and paper pushers, the demand to
relinquish floor space increases."

  I love this statement it is so true. I think we should have a centralized dome stadium where all laboratories store their blocks and slides. Then you dig tunnel lines from it to every lab in the country and when someone requests blocks or slides they just put them in the pneumatic tube and whoosh off they go. Or we could use the staduim for all the bureaucrats and then have our block and slide space back, oh and keep the tubes in case we need a bureaucrat or two. It's Friday and I have no other excuse.

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com wrote:
  Far be it from me to encourage independent thinking, rather than blind
compliance with regulations - but it seems to me that this issue needs looking at
afresh.

Assuming that the dismal specialty of surgical pathology continues in its
present form at all, we're clearly going to need to retain paraffin blocks for a
great deal longer than ten years, perhaps indefinitely.

The profusion of new molecular methods means that we're going to be doing
procedures as yet undreamed of on our patient's old paraffin blocks. I think that
the demand for such services will increase in the future.

Since liability for obstetrical problems extends to the child's majority,
plus discovery (i.e., around twenty years) we're going to have to be able to
produce placental blocks and slides for that long.

Obviously the storage problems are formidable, since paraffin blocks require
temperature controlled storage, and slides are extremely heavy. Meanwhile, as
hospitals add ever more bureaucrats and paper pushers, the demand to
relinquish floor space increases.

I think that the academics, the CAP, and other interested parties need to be
looking into this.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN