[Histonet] stability of lipids in wax

Anila Syed syedab <@t> totalise.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 03:26:00 CDT 2007

Dear Kemlo,

Many thanks,
that is soooo helpful! I did do a pubmed search and google search etc, but
got befuddled by the number of hits and it's better just to ask someone
usually.

Many thanks!!

Anila
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kemlo Rogerson" <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk>
To: "Anila Syed" <syedab <@t> totalise.co.uk>;
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:54 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] stability of lipids in wax

Feustel and Geyer (Acta Histochem. (Jena), 25: 219, 1966)suggest that
phospholipids can be retained after acrolein fixation. Loss of polar
lipids occurs after fixation in formalin.

Baker and Elbers and Adams noted retention of lipids in tissue after
calcium was added to formalin; cationic bridges, it is suggested, are
formed between the polar groups of phospholipids , calcium and other
tissue constituents.

Hydrophilic lipids can be retained by using osmium tetraoxide
(Wigglesworth, Proc. R. Soc Lond. (Biol) 147:185, 1957) or by using
potassium dichromate (Eftman J.Histochem Cytochem, 2:1 1954) Both of
these oxidants produce cyclic metal esters bridging a former double
bond.

Elleder and Lojda (Histochemie, 34:143, 1973) detected significant
amounts of sphingomyelin, cerebrosides, sulphatides and gangliosides
after formalin fixation, ethanol acetone and xylene, with paraffin
embedding.

Once again, the God that is Lillie explains much.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311
Mob 07749 754194; Pager 07659 597107;

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to
know whether you did it or not. --Oprah Winfrey

his e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation