[Histonet] Thin sectioning bone in PMMA

John Baker bakerj <@t> umich.edu
Wed Aug 1 12:46:42 CDT 2007

Hello,  We are sectioning rat femur embedded in PMMA on the Polycut
microtome with tungsten-carbide blade.  Does anyone have any
suggestions/protocols for getting excellent sections at 5 microns?  Are
there any tricks to mounting that will help eliminate the wrinkles?  We
mount and roll on Haupt's coated Superfrost slides, then under a press
in a 40 degree C oven overnight to dry.  Our sections are good but
there is room for improvement.  Thanks in advance.  John

John A. Baker
The University of Michigan
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories
Histology Unit