[Histonet] Use of 1% AgNO3 in gross room

Jackie M O'Connor Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Thu Apr 26 10:09:36 CDT 2007

'Twas always my impression that the reason for marking the surgical margin
of a specimen was to determine microscopically that all the tumor had been
excised.  Lots of surgeons like to cut it really close.

"Marshall Terry Dr,     Consultant Histopathologist"
<Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
04/26/2007 09:57 AM

"Kemlo Rogerson" <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk>, "Greg Dobbin"
<gvdobbin <@t> ihis.org>, <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
RE: [Histonet] Use of 1% AgNO3 in gross room

Wimp:-)

Seriously though, I am perpetually perplexed for this modern mania for
marking the margins.
I think it's a response to blunt knives. Alternatively, and going back
to a thread of a couple of weeks ago, a response to cutting tissue
before it is fixed and firm, AKA quick turnaround time, AKA keeping
ahead of the competition.
If you cut with a sharp knife when the tissue is fixed and firm, there
will be a flat embedding surface. The real edge of the tissue will be
the bit where tissue becomes empty space. Is this so difficult?

The suggestion of having buckets of silver nitrate around the place is a
species of insanity to my thoughts.

Terry